The Upcoming Federal Election – how you can make your voice heard
MS Australia on behalf of MS Queensland and other MS organisations across the country has produced the ‘MS Australia 2019 Election Commitments package’. The package sets out the nine important ways our federal politicians can help people living with MS.
You can help with the campaign of ‘Make our Stories Matter’ by contacting your local member and sharing your story.
We are seeking commitments from all political parties to the following nine initiatives that will each make significant improvements for people living with MS in Queensland and Australia.
1. Stop MS and find a cure
2. Prevent MS
3. Improve the management of MS
4. Fully address NDIS issues
5. Improving employment options and workplace flexibility
6. Stop young people entering residential aged care
7. Maintain momentum of aged care reforms
8. Help people stay at home for as long as possible
9. Ensure equal access to assistive technology.
What can I do?
Sometimes the simple act of sharing your story can be hugely powerful in influencing the priorities of a politician. MS Australia’s national advocates have already had some success with commitments from a range of MPs. MS Queensland ambassadors have also been meeting with their local members and candidates to remind them of the importance of their commitment to defeat MS.
How you can help:
1. Find your local electorate and local member here: https://electorate.aec.gov.au/
2. Search for the local candidate in your electorate
3. Contact their office. You can offer to meet with them or simply send them an email with your story and what matters to you. You can also send them the MS Australia 2019 Election Commitments.
4. Don’t forget to take a photo and Share it with MS Queensland!
We’d love to hear about your meeting!