About the MS Employment Support Service
The MS Employment Support Service is specifically designed to address the needs of people living with MS who are having difficulty managing symptoms in the workplace or seeking new employment. Our employment consultants can meet you in your home, at one of MS Queensland’s Wellbeing Centres via Telehealth conferencing. We currently serve the South East Queensland area but please contact our NeuroAssist InfoLine to find out how you can access this service from regional locations.
Helping you maintain your employment
Our service offers individualised support and assistance that will help enable you to manage your symptoms and continue working. Common symptoms that can make the workplace challenging include:
- Trouble moving around the workplace
- Difficulty accessing the bathroom
- Problems with concentration and memory
- Stiffness and pain
If you’re currently working but feel as though MS is impacting your ability to work, our specialist team of allied health professionals will assist you to identify the individual barriers you are experiencing at work and develop strategies to help you to remain to be a productive employee.
Did you know…
MS-related fatigue is one of the main reasons people prematurely leave the workforce. Strategies to relieve the impact of fatigue in the workplace may include taking regular breaks, modifying work structure or hours, doing regular exercise, modifying the workplace or using an adaptive piece of equipment.
Helping you seek new employment
If you are currently not working and would like support in seeking new employment, we may be able to assist you to identify suitable jobs, write a resume and practice interview techniques. Once you have found a job we also provide ongoing support to help you maintain your employment.
- Assessments to review your physical and cognitive function
- Assistance to identify and plan for suitable symptom management strategies that work for you
- A holistic assessment and plan to help you identify and address anything that may impact your ability to work and function
- Comprehensive workplace assessment to review current duties, workplace set up, and advice on how to modify your hours of work if suitable
- Advice and assistance to utilise new technology and equipment that may better suit your needs
- Advice and support to liaise with employers and managers
- Education to employers and co-workers.
Get assistance with employment
Meet the team
Karen has extensive experience in the Disability Employment sector. Karen’s formal qualifications in Community Welfare and breadth of experience having worked in community programmes over many years, in particular over the past 9 years in employment services, brings the necessary skills to assist participants seek and gain meaningful employment.
Mikaela completed her Bachelor of Science in Occupational Therapy (Honours) degree in the UK in 2014. Since then has worked in various roles between the UK and Australia including aged care and sub-acute care in the community. She has a wealth of experience including equipment prescription for clients with complex medical conditions.
Make an appointment
To make an appointment with one of our employment consultants please phone the NeuroAssist InfoLine on 1800 177 591 Monday – Friday between 8:30am – 5:00pm, or contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also request a call back from our NeuroAssist team.
Request a call